Student speaking on some topic of current events.
- Students have a 30 minute “prep” time before speaking. These rounds may have a delay until the first competitor arrives. Check with the prep room if you have questions.
- Speakers have a 7 minute time limit (30 second grace period). Competitors rely heavily on time signals by the judge. Use hand signals from 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes…etc. A fist indicates to the student that 7 minutes have expired. Continue timing until the student is done. Record the time on the ballot.
- Students should hand the judge a copy of the question they have been assigned along with their code.
- The student is judged on how thoroughly they answer the question (not if you agree with the position or not) and the style in which he/she speaks. He/She MUST present citations or evidence from current newspapers, magazines, or other literature to support their answer to the question.
- The student may NOT have notes in any form while speaking.
Welcome to the 2021-2022 tournament season! We’re looking forward to an awesome competition season, albeit online. We plan to conduct all debate and limited prep events in real-time online, and will be conducting other speech events via asynchronous online competition (through recorded performances). Good luck to everyone as we prepare for amazing competitions!