Student speak on a topic (usually a quote or question) drawn during the round.
- Students choose one quote from the slip and must prepare a speech about the topic. The prep time should not exceed 2 minutes. (Give them 30 second warnings).
- Speakers have a 7 minute time limit (30 second grace period) to both prepare and speak. Competitors rely heavily on time signals by the judge. Use hand signals from 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes…etc. A fist indicates to the student that 7 minutes have expired. Continue timing until the student is done. Record the time on the ballot.
- Students should indicate which to you which quote they have chosen.
- The student is judged on how he/she organizes the speech being creative in response to the quote and the presentation skills.
- The student may have notes while speaking.
Welcome to the 2021-2022 tournament season! We’re looking forward to an awesome competition season, albeit online. We plan to conduct all debate and limited prep events in real-time online, and will be conducting other speech events via asynchronous online competition (through recorded performances). Good luck to everyone as we prepare for amazing competitions!