Student speak on a topic (usually a quote or question) drawn during the round.
- Students choose one quote from the slip and must prepare a speech about the topic. The prep time should not exceed 2 minutes. (Give them 30 second warnings).
- Speakers have a 7 minute time limit (30 second grace period) to both prepare and speak. Competitors rely heavily on time signals by the judge. Use hand signals from 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes…etc. A fist indicates to the student that 7 minutes have expired. Continue timing until the student is done. Record the time on the ballot.
- Students should indicate which to you which quote they have chosen.
- The student is judged on how he/she organizes the speech being creative in response to the quote and the presentation skills.
- The student may have notes while speaking.
Thanks to everyone for a great 2020-2021 tournament season! We did a great job meeting the challenge of conducting tournaments online. Congratulations to those who qualified for the Metro Championship, and we look forward to seeing all of you (virtually) at the Championship tournament and at Nationals.