Oral Interpretation of Literature
A student presents both a poetry or prose selection of their choice.
- Students have 10 minutes (30 second grace period).
- An introduction is memorized and not lasting more than 60 seconds.
- POETRY ROUND—The student has chosen one or several poems all united by a connecting theme; he/she will be reading from a script with an emphasis on interpreting the meaning of each piece.
- PROSE ROUND—The student has chosen a short story or cutting from prose writing; he/she will be reading from a script with an emphasis on character development and climax in the selection.
- The student should maintain a balance of eye contact between the script and the audience.