A student presents a speech which he/she has written on any topic.
- Students have a 10 minute (30 second grace period)
- Student has written and memorized (no scripts) a speech about any topic of their choice.
- The purpose of the speech may be to inspire, to persuade, to eulogize, or to inform. There can be an overlapping of these styles within the oration.
- The judge should not allow their personal bias to influence their decision.
- Critique both the speech (how it conveys the message) and the style of the speaker-use of voice tone, emotional tenor, change in voice, use of gestures, eye contact, etc.
Welcome to the 2021-2022 tournament season! We’re looking forward to an awesome competition season, albeit online. We plan to conduct all debate and limited prep events in real-time online, and will be conducting other speech events via asynchronous online competition (through recorded performances). Good luck to everyone as we prepare for amazing competitions!